Sunday 6 April 2014

Personal Pedagogy Revisited




















My personal pedagogy updated

Upon reflection of my pedagogical beliefs in terms of 21st Century pedagogy, I was able to refine my personal pedagogy to link more closely with the social constructivist theory and to acknowledge that the learner can take more control over the learning journey and take advantage of being able to collaborate outside the 4 walls of the classroom.
In principal, the pedagogy needed for learners of any age should focus on contextualised learning experiences that harness the collaborative benefits of ICTs to develop deeper understanding and thinking skills that enable them to apply this understanding and problem solving abilities across various disciplines.
In practice, in order for this to occur within my current teaching context, the infrastructure and professional development capacities have an extremely long way to go. We need to identify what can change now and what needs to change in the future so that we prepare our students for the change that is yet to come.
The critical elements of 21st Century pedagogy (collaboration, flexibility, student centred and driven, networking as some) on face value align somewhat with my pedagogical beliefs as shared in my previous post. When I drill down into my beliefs I am able to make links with collaboration and providing personally relevant learning experiences but within the school/classroom environment. After revisiting my pedagogy incorporating 21st Century skills, I am able to include the pedagogical practices of collaboration to develop socially constructed understanding across a range of learning environments and student control of learning paths as essential components.

No comments:

Post a Comment